Google

Creating change by raising awareness of causes that ensure a better future.

February 23, 2012

Jacob Hill's Journey!

Meet Jacob a very brave & strong little boy on a journey!


Jacob's journey is one no child or parent should ever have to endure. I can not begin to try to explain how he and his family are coping with his diagnosis of Neuroblastoma and the continuous procedures and treatments that follow. Here in his words and the words of his Mother is Jacob Hill's Journey.

My name is Jacob Hill. I'm 3 years old. I live with my mom and three sisters in Rockwall, Texas. I am a very energetic and curious little boy. I love dinosaurs, playing with my sisters, riding my scooter outside and everything Spiderman. I have a fearless, sweet and loving nature. I am surrounded by tremendous amounts of love and support from all of my family and friends as I continue my fight against Stage IV High Risk Neuroblastoma.

On September 17, 2010 I woke up telling my mom that "I hurt". In feeling around on me she found a lump in my tummy. She took me in to see my pediatrician that afternoon who sent us straight to Children's Hospital Dallas. We spent 13 hours in the emergency room where tests and scans identified several tumors in my chest, belly and spine that the doctors believed was Neuroblastoma ( a rare and aggressive type of childhood cancer). I was admitted immediately into the hospital and it was confirmed that I do in fact have this disease. Surgery was performed to remove the abdominal tumor on my right side and several surrounding infected lymph nodes as well as a biopsy to test for the disease in my bones and a port was placed in my chest so the chemo could be delivered more efficiently. I spent the next week recovering in the hospital. The doctors decided to stage my cancer as a IV High Risk. My treatment would involve the most aggessive chemotherapy, radiation, stem cell harvest, more surgery and immunotherapy over a two year period. My mom was then faced with a very difficult decision, to stay at Children's for treatment or to take me to a hospital where they specialize in Neuroblastoma. My mom contacted Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC who reviewed my records and have the opinion they can help me. So my mom has decided to take me to New York. Since we've arrived, I have had 3 more surgeries (my right adrenal was removed completely and part of the left causing me to have to be on medicine the rest of my life) stem cell harvest, received 6 cylces of high dose chemo, 14 doses of radiation, countless blood transfusions and antibiotics. I had scans in November and we received some discouraging news. My Neuroblastoma has become Refractory. Meaning that it is not responding to the chemo like it should. The tumor in the bones of my spine and in the marrow of my spine did not go away and my infact be growing. I have received 2 more cylces of a different chemotherapy to try to get rid of it and then hopefully after my next set of scans in February, I will be able to start the HU3f8 antibody.

Please visit Jacob on Facebook and add him as a friend to show your support and to raise awareness for a very brave 3 year old: http://www.facebook.com/JacobHillsJourney?sk=wall

Jacob was a happy, healthy (according to his regular checkups), energetic 2 year old. Running around all day chasing after his 3 older sisters and getting into trouble like little boys should. I was a work from home mom with 4 great kids and all was right with the world. 

On September 17, 2010, our nightmare began. Jacob was diagnosed with Stage IV High Risk Neuroblastoma. A rare, aggressive and deadly childhood cancer. 

Jake woke up that morning complaining that he hurt. I, thinking it was just pain from a little spill he had taken off his scooter the day before, redoctored a scrape on his knee and told him it would be better in a day or so. He seemed ok after that. But later that afternoon, just out of the blue, something told me to take another look at him. I laid him down on his back and starting at the top of his head began working my way down his body feeling for anything abnormal.

Everything seemed to be alright until I got to his belly. I pressed down and initially didn't feel anything. But once again, something told me to press a little harder. So I did, and that's when I felt it. A hard spot deep in his abdomen towards the back of his body. Having no medical background I had no idea what it was but I did know that it should not be there. I called the doctor and insisted he be seen that day.

At the office the doctor began to exam Jacob, he did not even have to say a word. I will never forget the look on his face when he said that he too thought he felt something there and that we needed to go immediately to Childrens and have some test done. 10 hours later my worst fear was confirmed. Jacob had several masses in his abdomen, on both adrenal glands, up in his chest and around his spine. Jacob had cancer known as Neuroblastoma.

To read more of Jacob's Journey as told by his family please visit them at their blog:

You can show your support by sharing their blog with all your friends and family to help bring awareness to their story. If you would like to contribute to Jacob Hill's Journey? Just click on the "donate" button on the home page and it will take you to Jacob's Fund where you can choose the amount you wish to contribute.

My thoughts and prayers are with Jacob and his family as they continue on this "Journey", I will continue to follow them and update his progress for everyone supporting his goal of finding a cure for Neuroblastoma.

My Local Weather

Web Analytics